- 1 Ruby stone
- 2 Ruby (chemical composition).
- 3 Main ruby deposits.
- 4 Ruby stone physical properties.
- 5 Origin of the ruby stone.
- 6 Ruby stone (story).
- 7 Ruby physical characteristics.
- 8 Ruby varieties.
- 9 Ruby cleaning and care.
- 10 Ruby NewAge Properties.
- 11 Ruby energy properties.
- 12 Ruby healing properties.
- 13 Ruby emotional properties.
- 14 Uses of ruby.
- 15 Ruby imitations.
- 16 Ruby Fun Facts.
The word ruby derives from the Latin “ruber” (red). Many precious stones were called ruby until science allowed them to be distinguished. Centuries ago, rubies, garnets and spinels did not differ from each other and were called “carbunculus”. The Greeks called them “anthrax” (live coal), because they showed the color of a burning coal when exposed to the sun.
Ruby (chemical composition).
This gemstone is a variety of Corundum (aluminum oxide crystal). Ruby owes its red color to chrome, but the great presence of iron in other specimens makes its coloration brown. It is important to note that this stone is 80% red, as the remaining 20% shows shades of pink, purple, orange, or lilac.
Main ruby deposits.
Formerly Sri Lanka was the main source of ruby extraction in approximately 480 BC, this stone is later said to have originated in the Mogok Valley in central Burma. Today Burma has a deposit in Möng Hsu in the northeast of this country. Other countries that have extraction of this precious stone are: Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Kenya, India, China, Mozambique, Madagascar, Thailand, Vietnam and Tanzania.
Ruby stone physical properties.
- Color: bright red.
- Raya: blanca.
- Luster: vitreous.
- Crystal system: trigonal.
- Crystalline habit: massive.
- Hardness: 9 (Mohs).
Origin of the ruby stone.
This stone is formed in prismatic, bipyramidal, rhombohedral or tabular crystals, as well as in massive or granular habits. Its shine is vitreous. The most valuable specimens are those of a pure red, without a mixture of yellow or purple or blue, although in reality they are pure red with a touch of purple or blue. Its tonality varies according to the place of extraction.
Ruby stone (story).
The Hindus formerly believed that the ruby stone had fire within it, they said that this stone guaranteed their life, but in the Middle Ages, they were convinced that this gem possessed fortune-telling powers and its color became darker if a misfortune was in door. The inhabitants of Burma used the ruby as a talisman against bad luck, disease and injury. This gemstone was once known as drops of blood from the heart of the earth. A poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson described ruby as “icy drops of wine flowing from the vat of Eden.”
Ruby physical characteristics.
Ruby is a two-color gem red orange or purple red, (dichroic), so a ruby will never have more than 80% pure red, since the other 20% will correspond to the other colors that usually characterize this stone.
This stone is an expensive and strange among all the gems that exist, even much rarer than diamond. These gems present specimens with a superior quality, in addition to transparency, these specimens are classified with the initials AAA.
As previously mentioned, chrome is responsible for the color and inclusions of this stone. Ruby inclusions are subtle and microscopic and called silk; some rubies have the effect of delicately distributing light, accentuating their beauty and value. This stone if observed under sunlight or a white light source will display a bright red fluorescence.
- The AAA AAA ruby: it has a high purity, when refined it increases its value, but it is found in small quantities.
- Ruby from Madagascar: it is a cheaper option, but it presents a delicate silk which makes it take up more space in the gem market.
- The star ruby: in this specimen the light when reflected in two or more directions shows a clear and evident six-pointed star, in some cases (very few) twelve-pointed stars are shown.
- The ruby cat’s eye: in it inclusions of Rutilium are revealed in the form of needles which reflect light and are shown as a cat’s pupil.
Ruby cleaning and care.
This gemstone can be exposed to normal cleanings, either by steam or by ultrasound. The use of solvents should be avoided since this gem has empty spaces, fillings, fissures and cavities, for this reason it is exposed to irreversible damage.
Ruby NewAge Properties.
This is an excellent stone for activating energies, energizes and balances, it also distributes vigor to life, taking special care with delicate people as they could be over-stimulated.
It has action on the chakra of the heart, makes you happy, encourages you, encourages positive dreams and gives a clear visualization.
It brings a positive and courageous state to the mind, it also transmutes feelings of anger and eliminates negative energy.
Emotionally it is responsible for increasing passion and enthusiasm.
Ruby energy properties.
- Overcome tiredness and lethargy.
- It stimulates circulation, and vitalizes the entire system.
- It is stimulating for people who suffer from irritability.
- Calm hyperactivity in some people.
- Deepens the relationship as a couple, promoting closeness and commitment.
- Helps to maintain and restore passion.
- It can increase the chances of conception.
- It brings greater awareness and concentration.
- Increase success in disputes and controversies.
- Sharpen the mind.
- Reduces fear of evil and paranormal.
- Protects against psychological and psychological attacks.
- Banish the nightmares.
- Protects the house from intruders and fire.
- Strengthens the heart, ventricles, arteries, myocardium, and also stimulates good blood circulation.
- Regulates menstrual flow and relieves stomach pain.
- It is used for treatments of impotence, sexual dysfunction and infertility.
- Detoxifies the body, lymph and blood.
- Treats fevers and infections of the body.
- Helps regulate weight, especially when caused by emotional eating.
- Lets share the loving energy.
- It gives strength to rise from sadness, suffering or martyrdom.
- It fosters a more positive and courageous state of mind.
- Protects people who are sensitive.
- Release destructive emotional retentions.
- Develop a loving attitude towards yourself.
- It leads to independence and spontaneous leadership.
- It is mainly used in the world of jewelry, with ruby watches, rings, bracelets, chains, charms, among many other jewelry, including the crowns of kings are made.
- Also some medical instruments are made with this stone.
- At an industrial and technological level, ruby is used to manufacture helium-ruby lasers or pure ruby lasers.
Ruby healing properties.
Ruby emotional properties.
Uses of ruby.
There are currently synthetic rubies such as Flux, Hydrothermal and Verneuil.
These synthetic rubies contain glass fillers of borax or silica, which are distinguished by bubbles.
Others are treated by lead glass, which is applied to very low quality corundums, in which bubbles are also observed.
Some are filled with epoxies, oils or resins, even dyes.
Some imitations are covered with metallic oxides that spread the outside of the corundum, changing the original color to more intense.
Beryllium diffusion treatments, where the corundum is coated with beryllium, which penetrates the crystal lattice and alters the color significantly.
In the market there are imitations of ruby that can be synthetic or natural stones.
Ruby Fun Facts.
- The ruby has been part of the insignia of royalty. Also famous people like Elizabeth Taylor, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis prefer this stone as a jewel.
- It is only enough to scratch a ruby with a coin, to know if it is authentic or not. Thanks to its hardness it is a mineral difficult to break.
- Currently, the ruby laser is used to remove hyperpigmentation and tattoos, and also to permanently remove body hair.
- During the Mughal period in India, princes bought the most beautiful rubies in Burma, to use and embed in dagger handles, and to decorate and cover their thrones.
- The largest ruby found to date weighed 3,421 carats, in the year 1,961. when carved, it broke, but the largest fragment weighed 750 carats.
- The oldest and most important jewel in the Bohemian crown belonged to Saint Wenceslas, which has a ruby stone weighing 250 carats, this crown is currently preserved in the Prague Castle.
- In 1919, some time after the end of the First World War, a 43-carat ruby specimen was found, which was called Peace Ruby.
Other rubies called “Edwar” which weighs 167 carats and is in the British Museum of Natural History in London; 138-carat “Rosser Reeves” is in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington; and 100-carat “Estrella-Long”, which is in the American Museum of Natural History in New York.