- 1 Labradorite
- 2 Labradorite characteristics.
- 3 Labradorite physical properties.
- 4 Labradorite formation and deposits.
- 5 Different uses of labradorite.
- 6 Esoteric meaning of labradorite.
- 7 Labradorite spiritual properties.
- 8 Labradorite health properties.
- 9 Esoteric uses of labradorite.
- 10 How to clean and energize the labradorite?
- 11 Labradorite fun facts.
It is a salicate mineral, which belongs to the group of plagioclase feldspars. It is made up of sodium, silicone, aluminum and calcium, in addition to other chemical elements. Another name by which it is known is spectrolite, thanks to the spectral nuance. Depending on how you look at it, it radiates bright shades of green, blue, white, red, orange, gray and even translucent, depending on its specimen and variety.
This mineral was found for the first time in Canada in the year 1770, specifically in the Labrador peninsula, it was for this reason that it was called ” Labradorite “.
According to its hardness, this mineral is classified between 6-6.5 on the Mohs scale. Its chemical formula is (Ca, Na) (Si, Al) 4 O 8 and it is soluble in hydrochloric acid.
It is considered a well-formed crystal due to its habit, it is tubular, elongated, it is arranged in perfect and uneven fracture planes. Minerals are grouped asymmetrically in this species, which is why they give it the effect of stacked layers and differentiate it from sanidine crystals.
At first glance, this mineral looks ugly, but if it is placed in the right light in the right direction, the gleaming colors it radiates are fascinatingly observed. When light hits the surfaces inside the rock, a phenomenon called labradorescence forms. In some labradorites more and more intense colors of the spectrum are produced by the diffraction of light, these are called spectrolites.
X-ray diffraction, optical tests, and chemical analyzes are necessary to differentiate labradorite from other minerals in the plagioclase series.
The labradorite has two varieties which are called the peristerita radiating reddish reflexes and eye lynx green iridescence.
This mineral is also transparent, with an almost yellow tone, which do not show labradorescence.
Labradorite physical properties.
- Color: pale green, blue, white or gray.
- Raya: blanca.
- Luster: muted or sub-glassy.
- Transparency: translucent.
- Crystal system: triclinic.
- Crystalline habit: well formed crystals.
- Twin: typical.
- Hardness: 6-6.5 (Mohs).
- Density: 2.7 g / cm3.
- Refractive index: 1.55 and 1.75.
Labradorite formation and deposits.
This species forms in igneous plutonic, mafic, and metamorphic rocks. For this reason it is common in anortosites, gabros, and other rocks. It is associated with minerals such as biotite and pyroxene.
In Finland, Russia, the United States, Canada, Brazil, China and Madagascar, the main labradorite deposits are found . In India they are produced but in small quantities.
Different uses of labradorite.
Collectors are drawn to the quality, brilliance, and nuances of labradorite tones and colors , which are displayed in the most renowned salons.
In the jewelry industry this stone is used to make necklaces, earrings, bracelets, among other exclusive garments.
It should be noted, this stone breaks with an impact and is easily scratched, but the goldsmiths who use them know this characteristic.
Some industries use it to make enamels, ceramics, and refractory materials.
Esoteric meaning of labradorite.
This mineral has the ability to bring talents to the surface, that is, it is excellent for awakening the awareness of the inner spirit, psychic abilities and intuition, it helps to discover yourself. These rainbow-type gems provide well-being and energy, and also harmonize all the chakras. The negative energies of the body are diverted by this magical stone.
Labradorite spiritual properties.
- Develops and increases clairvoyance mental and intuitive skills.
- In sessions or rituals, it helps establish communication with higher spirits to access memories of past lives and perform psychic readings.
- It encourages courtesy before a client, it also helps part-time staff to fully participate in a company, in short, it makes the routine at work more pleasant.
- It reduces the antisocial, impulsive and reckless behavior of a young person or an adult.
- It also helps to detoxify due to the effects of tobacco, alcohol and drugs.
- It helps in the development of hand sensitivity, it is very useful for people who use touch for healing, for example physical therapists.
- Calm the overactive mind; energize the imagination by giving new ideas.
- This mineral is capable of returning the spontaneity and joy of a person who feels down.
- Eliminate the emotions of daily routine and the overwhelming circumstances of responsibility.
- It is capable of awakening the sense of change, emotion and adventure.
- It drives introspection, it also brings clarity of thought to help dispel the illusion.
- It helps to eliminate fears and insecurities and in turn increases faith and self-confidence.
- This mineral acts as a protector when remembering other experiences and other lives, in short, it helps to move between the worlds, while practicing rituals.
- It prevents energy leaks so that other people do not take advantage of it, making a protective barrier to the aura.
- It is a useful tool in the treatment and analysis of radionics.
- This mineral benefits the lungs, since it helps with the respiratory system (colds, bronchitis, pneumonia).
- It helps in digestion and regulates the body’s metabolism.
- It also benefits in the treatment of brain and eye disorders and stimulates mental acuity.
- Anxiety, nerves, and stress, in addition to other behavioral ailments, are reduced by Labradorite .
- Relieves pain from premenstrual symptoms.
- Blood pressure is reduced with this mineral.
- Decreases sensitivity to cold.
- Gout and rheumatism are also alleviated by this mineral.
- Treats body infections.
- Eliminates the sensations of dizziness caused by vertigo.
- It balances the hormonal system in the body.
- Meditation with the labradorite , allows to recognize the human being as a “being of light”, it also allows to be and rest safely, since the light will always be there, pure and surrounding the aura.
- They are used as protection amulets, since this mineral is a powerful barrier filter, thanks to its crystalline structure that gives strength in all directions.
- In feng shui it is also used in conjunction with the energy of water, which contributes regeneration to the mineral.
- To focus spiritual energy and listen to messages from spiritual guides, using this stone in the form of earrings, pendants, chains or beads is recommended, since it helps focus energy, facilitate self-improvement, as well as improving concentration and emotional health and mental.
- Another way to carry the stone with you is to have it in contact with the body, whether it be carried in a pocket or close to the chest, this helps to stimulate that close skin-stone contact.
- Keeping a piece of this mineral in the house, room or office is highly recommended.
Labradorite health properties.
Esoteric uses of labradorite.
How to clean and energize the labradorite?
This mineral is relatively resistant due to its hardness, but due to its vulnerability it is fragile, if it is submerged in water and salt it loses its shine and natural liveliness. The way to clean, purify and charge the labradorite is to put it in sage-infused water for 15 to 30 minutes.
Then it proceeds to recharge it periodically, exposing it to the moonlight. You can also choose to place it periodically for a few hours on a bed of sesame or sesame seeds or in oak barks, this helps the labradorite take vitality.
Labradorite fun facts.
- The spectrolite variety with greenish, bluish and yellow colors was named in this way, thanks to its discovery in a Finnish deposit in 1940.
- According to the tradition of the Inuit peoples, it says that a warrior found a shiny stone that fell from the frozen fire of the Aurora Borealis, he himself believed that he had captured the lights of the night.
- This mineral is believed to carry the light of beings from other planets, believing that the labradorescence is of extraterrestrial origin, and that it remains locked to bring evolutionary energies to planet earth.
- For building facades poor quality labradorite is used as an ornament and decoration material.
- There is a variety of golden-colored labradorite that is very rare and comes in the form of crystalline gold.
- In Norse mythology, they believed that this stone was created by the gods as a bridge that took ordinary mortals to heaven.
- According to Welsh culture, this stone honored the Welsh goddess of the stars and the moon Arianrhod who resides in the Northern Lights. It is also used to honor the Welsh goddess of knowledge Cerridwen.
- These stones help people who use their hands to work as masseurs, physical therapists, dentists, who benefit from just carrying it around or having it in their offices.